Simply based on the numbers, you have a one in two chance of needing a divorce attorney in your lifetime. That’s the percentage of marriages in the US that end in divorce, so knowing a thing or two about how that process goes is probably a good idea given the environment. The most important aspect of going through a divorce is finding a quality lawyer to help guide you through. You need someone who knows what they’re doing and who will not stop fighting until you’ve gotten everything that you can get. Of course, it’s possible that you and your spouse are ending things on a good note and you’ll be able to reconcile your assets, child custody, etc., but most divorces simply don’t end that way.
In order to find the best divorce attorney, you need to know what you’re looking for. There are lots of such lawyers out there, so compiling a checklist of things to look for is never a bad idea. If you wouldn’t even know where to start on such a list, try using the following one.
1. Personable. This is often entirely overlooked, but it’s usually a good idea to hire a family attorney who is personable. You might be thinking to yourself, “Why is that important?” Well, first of all, having a personable lawyer to work with makes it easier for you to be open and honest about your life. The more you can share with your lawyer the more they’ll know about the situation and the more they’ll be able to help. However, it also helps when you’re in mediation, for lawyers who are personable do a better job of getting both sides to agree and thus avoiding court. However, if it goes to court, they’re better in that situation as well.
2. Experienced. This is an obvious one, but family attorneys/divorce lawyers with years of experience generally do a better job of getting a positive outcome for their clients. If they’ve only been practicing law for a few months you should move on to someone who’s been doing it for years. Also, divorce attorneys often build relationships with judges, making it easier for them to get better deals.
3. Well thought of. You’ll likely want to find a divorce attorney who is well thought of by their peers and their clients. An example of what this looks like is the Law Office of John Waters is Denver, Colorado. He’s well thought of by his peers for a good reason: he’s very, very good at what he does.
4. Committed. Fourth, only work with divorce lawyers who can prove they are fully committed to your case. You want to work with someone who is going to be there for the entire process, from the moment you file the motion until the last piece of paperwork is filed away.
5. Genuine. Lastly, it’s a good idea to find a divorce lawyer who is truly genuine. You want to find someone who means the things that they say and who is open and honest with you about how they think the case is going to end.