There are both pros and cons that come along with choosing to get back pain surgery. Surgery for your back pain should always be the last treatment method used unless it is the only option. A lot of times, when you visit a neurosurgeon, then they will recommend various treatment options that include conservative treatments before opting for surgical treatments. In fact, you will want to try every possible treatment prior to choosing to get surgery.
There are many forms of conservative back pain treatments that your neurosurgeon may recommend for your back pain. They may even give you various stretches as well as physical therapy sessions to see if it will help to alleviate the pain. You may also need to take over-the-counter anti-inflammatory pills to help combat inflammation during this process as well. However, if all else fails, then your neurologist or neurosurgeon will likely recommend that you have surgery for your back pain.
Of course, there are both pros and cons that come along with back pain surgery. Your neurosurgeon can help you choose the right back pain treatments that are best for your particular situation. Listed here are the pros and cons for choosing to get surgery for your back pain.
Here are the pros for back pain surgery:
- You can alleviate your pain. One of the largest pros for choosing to get surgery for your back pain is that you can alleviate your pain! This is a method that may fix the problem if you have a ruptured disc or need an artificial disc.
- You can fix the problem. When you opt for back pain surgery, then it is a very specific type of surgery that is designed to heal your back pain. This is the best way to ease the pain and to solve the problem.
- You can prevent pain in the future. When you fix a herniated or ruptured disc through back pain surgery, then you are eliminating your chances for back pain in the future.
Here are the cons for back pain surgery:
- You may have a long recovery period. When you have surgery for your back pain, then you may have a recovery period that is longer than you expected.
- You may still experience pain. You may still have pain after your back surgery and sometimes back pain surgery won’t cure the entire problem.
- It can cost a lot! Surgery in the United States isn’t cheap. This is something to consider when you are choosing whether or not you want to get surgery for your back pain.
As you can see, there are both pros and cons for choosing to get surgery for your back pain. You will want to determine if it is the right option for you when discussing your options with your neurosurgeon. If you are looking for the right neurosurgeon, then you can start by contacting the experts over at Boulder Neurosurgical and Spine Associates. They are the leading spinal care experts that can help you solve and alleviate any and all of your back pain.