- Higher Energy Bill: If you start seeing your energy bill hike up for no apparent reason, it is time to check how effectively your furnace is working. A furnace in need of maintenance will use more energy, and this will certainly show up in your bill.
- Uneven Heating: If you start experiencing some rooms growing warm while others remain cold, there could be something wrong with the thermostat on your furnace. The best thing to do is to call a furnace repair expert to help you, since the appliance is too complex to tackle this on your own. This could mean that either the thermostat is not working or that the furnace is struggling to spread the air evenly through the property.
- Burner Flame is Yellow: A common sign that your furnace needs maintenance is if the burner flame is yellow and not blue. If you start seeing a yellow flame or a flickering flame you need to call an expert immediately, since this could mean there is a danger of the furnace releasing carbon monoxide into your property. Other signs of potential carbon monoxide issues are soot streaks and rusting on the fuel pipes.
- Strange Noises: Furnaces can make noise, but if you start hearing ones you have not heard before, you should call an expert. If you hear banging, popping, or rattling, this might mean that you will need to replace your furnace. If it turns off on its own, too, could mean it is time for repairs.
- Dry or Dusty House: Furnaces that malfunction will not be able to keep the air the way you want it to feel comfortable. You may experience dry, itchy eyes, and some people may experienced allergies. Drooping plants, static shocks, and more can also be caused by a furnace that is not working the way it should be. If you and your family start experiencing dry throats or headaches, you need to call a repair person at once. A furnace that is not working correctly can be very dangerous to a person’s health.
You need your furnace in perfect working condition in order for it to provide the kind of comfort you need. Like any other HVAC unit, you want to periodically check on it to make sure that it is working as it should. There are a number of signs to look for if you suspect the furnace is not working correctly. We have some of the most obvious ones below.