When it comes to choosing Assisted Living Facilities, you will that there is a huge variation among them. It is because of that reason that many people have a hard time trying to choose one and might even feel overwhelmed with the number of options. However, the great thing about many options is that you have a greater chance of finding one that is actually suited to your needs and preferences. While you are choosing an assisted living facility, you have to understand that the residents and personnel matter more than the available amenities.
You will want to choose an assisted living facility that has a great social environment because after all, it is the people in the facility that make it worthwhile. The friendlier the residents are and the more caring and warm the personnel are, the better it will be. A great way to tell if an assisted living facility is good is by visiting the place and observing the staff, residents, and the facility in itself. Let’s talk about the things that you need to look out for when assessing an assisted living facility.
First off, you will want to observe the staff of the assisted living facility. Here are some things that you will need to take note of:
- Are they able to entertain you or are they in a hurry? – This will give you an idea of how smoothly things go inside the Assisted Living Facility and if they are rushing to do things in the place.
- Are the personnel friendly to you? – Try observing how they entertain you and whether they are being welcoming. That will give you an idea of how they treat the residents.
- Are they treating the residents warmly? – It is also important that you observe how they are actually treating the residents to see if the place is ideal.
After you are done observing the staff, you will also want to observe the residents of the facility.
- Are the residents happy in the facility? – This will give you a direct idea if you or your loved one will also be happy in the facility.
- Are they interacting happily with each other? – The facility should be a place where the residents can happily interact with each other.
- Are there any fun activities that they engage in? – The best assisted living facilities always make sure to let their residents have fun and socialize on a regular basis.
When you are done observing the staff and residents, you should take a look at the overall facility.
- Does the area look clean and tidy? – Personnel should be available to do the housekeeping and maintenance work for the residents.
- How often are the apartments or rooms cleaned? – You can try asking one of the residents as to how often the personnel do housekeeping work in the place.
- Does the place seem safe? – Every Assisted Living Facility should always make the safety of their residents a priority. You can tell the place is safe if there are grab bars available and there is a contact system in case someone needs help.