Windows can update the look of your home and make it less drafty. New windows an also decrease the amount of noise that comes into and out of your house. In addition, new windows are easier to clean and maintain than old windows. There are many options to choose from when looking for new custom windows.
First you have to decide what material you would like your window frames to be made from. Most windows are framed in wood, vinyl or aluminum. While all wood frames are available, wood that is combined with composite materials is preferred because it makes it easier to maintain. The wood frame that faces the interior of the home needs to be painted to match its surroundings. Vinyl frames are less expensive and do not need to be painted. However, they only come in limited colors and styles.
Once you have selected a frame material, you then need to determine whether your custom windows should open or not. If you would like the window to open, you need to decide how it will open. The most popular choices include:
- Double Hung Windows. The most popular type of window. The top of the window slides down to the bottom and the bottom of the window slides up to the top. This allows for air circulation and easy cleaning.
- Single Hung Windows. These look like double hung windows, but only the bottom opens by sliding up. These are good in colder weather climates because they keep cold air out well.
- Casement style windows. Casement style windows open like doors. They allow for an unobstructed view and are more airtight then double hung windows. Unlike double or single hung windows, casement style windows are not a good choice if you have an air conditioner that sits in the window.
- Awning style windows. These windows open outward and can be left open when it rains. They close tightly but cannot hold an air conditioner and can be difficult to clean.
- Hopper style windows. Hopper style windows look like awning style windows. However, they open from the bottom. They can be opened either inward or outward and provide the best ventilation when installed above a door. While these windows cannot accommodate an air conditioner, they are the best at preventing leaks.
- Fixed window. These windows do not open. They are good for lighting and can come with decorative glass and in a variety of shapes.
In order to choose the best custom windows for your home, have a designer come into your home or go to a design center to get assistance. A professional designer can help you determine what would be best for your home. They can help you decide what type of frame they should have, how it should open, if at all, as well as help you decide the type of glass that the windows in your home should be made of. They can also set up professional installation so that your house becomes the dream home you always wanted.